Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Family Mann

Over the transom comes yet another amazing Przemysl diaspora tale.  Does anyone out there have any information on family Mann?

I have just been reading your website with interest. My father was born in Przemysl and lived there until 1939 when he walked out barefoot as Hitler invaded. He ended up in Bucharest where he met my mother and they married. they had to escape yet again and ended up in Kenya, where they settled and where I was born and raised.

I am making a film about their extraordinary story - there were very few Jews in Kenya - and while I have a lot of material on my mother, I have virtually nothing about my father and his family. He was born in 1907. His name was Igor Mann in later life, but I believe his real first name was Izidore. He trained as a veterinarian at the University of Prague and he had a sister who died of TB before the war. I believe his father died when he was 13 and his mother died in 1942.

Is there any way in which I might be able to find more information about him or his family? He was 32 when he left, so there must be some records - or maybe not, since the Jewish population was so thoroughly wiped out. Anyway - if you can make any suggestions for me as to further research, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!
Kenny Mann
Some additional information on her family:
Yes - you may post my note to the blog. Some of the people contributing were about the same age as my father - perhaps they knew the family. His father was a bricklayer. My father became an orphan at age 13 and made money by de-backing and selling stamps and mending tennis racquets. His sister's name was Clara, I believe. There is someone known as Aunt Tseckia (I don't know how to spell this) who has a son called Olesh who apparently became quite a well-known photographer - they now live in Krakow, I believe.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Judith Elam said...

My gg-grandmother was Chane Rosa Wiener, married a second time to Jonas Hirsch MANN. Jonas was born in Przemysl in 1856. (I am descended from her first husband, Sender).

Jonas & Chane Rosa had 9 children, of whom 7 survived to adulthood. I do not know if they all survived the Holocaust. Their names were Gittel, Jakob, Chaje Freude, Chawe, Nachman, Selig, Osias, Avraham, Sime Ruchl.

Jakob ended up in Israel. Sime Ruchl married Alster and supposedly her descendants are in Australia. I am in touch with the granddaughter of Gittel, a wonderful 86 year old called Rose.

Do you know if you descend from any of these people? Chaje & Selig died as children.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home