Monday, January 25, 2021

"The name of this righteous person was Wladimir Riszko"


See previous post, and this amazing, wonderful thread:


Chaim Feingold, Salya (Sarah) Feingold (nee Sperling) and my dad Dov.
David hi,

My mom told me today, that the person who saved my grandparents and father, 16 Jews in all, married one of the Jews he saved and moved to New Zealand. Maybe that is a lead? Add to the blog post?

Thanks, Sara


So Sara emails the New Zealand Holocaust Memorial and gets back:
Hi Sara

I am the daughter of Wladimir Riszko and Rennie Riszko ( nee Rivka
Schildkraut).

Your email seems like a miracle because I have wanted for years for my
father to be recognized as a Righteous Gentile but we felt there wasn't
enough proof.

I have the names of several people whom my father hid in his house but
there are no Wolfs among them.

My mother was so traumatized by the loss of her birth family that she
could never give us a coherent, sequential story of her Holocaust
experiences so my brother, George and I have pieced together some of it.

How did you know that we eventually ended up in New Zealand?

A friend of mine volunteers at our Holocaust Museum and knew enough of
my parent's story to recognize that it could be my father who hid your
family. He lived in a hamlet a few kilometers from Przemysl which is he
was able to hide so many people.

So looking forward to taking with you and learning about your family!!

Eva
Sara replies:
This morning was very overwhelming for both myself and Eva Riszko Woodbury. For years I have been haunted about not knowing who it was who saved my father and grandparents along with 13 other Jewish people right outside the Przemysl Ghetto, and today I know and have been in touch with the children of this man.

The name of this righteous person was Wladimir Riszko and he was only about 30 years of age at the time. Wladimir married one of the Jewish women whom he saved, Rennie Riszko (nee Rivka Schildkraut). They have a list of the Jews who were saved, amongst them, the Feingolds, our original family name

Eva told me that none of those who were saved made contact over the years and that she wants more than anything for her father to be recognized, posthumously as a Righteous Gentile.

The Riskzo's had a child while in hiding! This is George, who was born about 3 weeks before liberation by the Russians, when Rennie was somehow whisked out of the hiding place to Wladimir's cousins for the birth, of their child, a Jewish child.

Eva their daughter was born later and she told me this morning that she has been back to Przemysl and says that the hiding place was in a hamlet a few kilometers out of Przemsyl.

We spent a good hour talking on video camera. 

How did she reach me? Late last night Israel time, I sent a message to the New Zealand Holocaust Memorial, unbeknownst to me on the receiving end was Dr. Anne Beaglehole, a refugee herself and a  historian of refugee immigration to New Zealand, friends of the Riszko family who had interviewed George in 1988 for her work and knew of their stroy. She right away sent them an email and this morning I woke up to an email from George followed by one from Eva, who then found me on Facebook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home