Friday, January 15, 2021

The Feingold-Bank/Sperling families of Przemysl

Granddaughter of survivors writes:

My name is Sara. My father was born in 1939 in Przemysl. His mother's family, the Sperling family, had lived on Kilinskiego Street. Everyone but my grandfather Mr. Charles Bank (Chaim Feingold-Bank), my grandmother Sally Sarah and my father Dov, were killed.

My grandfather managed to get out before the liquidation of the ghetto. They were hidden by a righteous gentile along with others, numbering 16 people who were hidden in an underground cellar of a building just 125 feet from the ghetto for 2-3 years, until liberated by the Russians.

I am writing in hopes that one of those other people survived and perhaps knows more details as to who saved them and more exactly where.

I recently had the attached letter translated from Polish.  It reads as follows and I believe it was to his friend and landsman who later with his wife, became our Uncle Maurice and Tante Vera Schweber.  As mentioned, they were in hiding right outside the ghetto of Przemysl.


My Dears,

Three months have passed since the Red Army liberated us from under the oppressive Hitlerite bandit murderers. I have not written until now because I did not have information on your brother, Bł.P (Błogosławionej Pamięci - of Blessed Memory.)

Now I am in the position to inform you that he was killed together with all the others in September 1943 during the liquidation of the last ghetto. I, my wife and child were saved by miracle and I unfortunately was not able to write to you from my hiding place. Of the 7000 Jews in the area  that was liberated, only 350-450 Jews remain alive so you can imagine the totality of the massacre that the murderers committed. The details of which you will learn sometime after the war ends.

If you have the possibility, I would ask you to send clothes for me, my wife and child who is now 6 years old.

I await your reply. Big regards.

P.S. If you are able to send food too that wouldn't bother us either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home